Friday, April 18, 2014

Life Can Change in a Moment

After a wonderful trip to Vegas spending time as a family celebrating Isabel's birthday. I notice that my lupus was out of control. Through the trip I felt pretty tired and my joint hurt, so I pushed through the pain and made the best of the time I had to reflect and celebrate my daughter sweet life.  Little did I know that weekend would change my life possible forever.

The year after she passed away as her birthday neared Ed and I decided that our way of remembering her and celebrating her short life would be to take a trip. I'll admit the first year it was more because we wanted to run away from dealing with her being gone. I was 7 months pregnant with Carter and my emotions were out of control, I didn't want to deal with anyone of anythings so we escaped to a hotel for a weekend with out worries.

As, the year have past and we have come to accept our emotions more and learn to grieve in more productive ways. Our trip for Isabel's birthday and been a small trip all of us look forward to and the kids talk about for months before.

In 2013 as our vacation came to a close, I was completely exhausted. Camden our baby was 6 months old, I was nursing but I felt like something more was wrong than just the normal new baby exhaustion. I scheduled an appointment with my Rhuematologist, and he gave me the clearance that everything was fine. My feet were huge, my face was starting to swell and I just felt horrible. I made an appointment with my amazing, Physician Assistant, Heather Leiasure, PA. With hours she had me in the hospital and with a diagnoses of stage 4 kidney failure, of lupus nephritis. In that moment my life has changed completely. In common term, due to my lupus my body had attacked my kidney's. For the last 3 year I have been on a medication called cell-cept that helps suppress my immune system. The side effects have been horrible, vomiting, nausea, fatigue, anemia. Over all it is horrible but makes my kidneys slowly start to heal and function properly. When we first started down this journey the doctors estimated 6 month on the medication then we could start going off 3 years later each time we try my kidney's start to shut down again.

Most people have moments that change their lives forever, being diagnosed with kidney failure has been one of those for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment